About Me

My photo
Nairobi, Kenya
I an ex member of both 7 and 8 Squadron's of the Rhodesian war spending most of my operational time on Seven Squadron as a K Car gunner. I was credited for shooting down a fixed wing aircraft from a K Car on the 9 August 1979. This blog is from articles for research on a book which I HAVE HANDED THIS MANUSCRIPT OVER TO MIMI CAWOOD WHO WILL BE HANDLING THE PUBLICATION OF THE BOOK OF WHICH THERE WILL BE VERY LIMITED COPIES AVAILABLE Contact her on yebomimi@gmail.com The latest news is that the Editing is now done and we can expect to start sales and deliveries by the end of April 2011

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Pages

Followers

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A STORY OF A FARM INVASION

JUSTICE FOR AGRICULTURE - INCIDENT REPORT COMMUNIQUE, Dated 17 May 2008>> Email: jag@mango.zw : justiceforagriculture@zol.co.zw>> JAG Hotlines: +263 (011) 610 073, +263 (04) 799 410. If you are in > trouble> or need advice, please don't hesitate to contact us - we're here to help!> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------> ------------------>> ANDREW PAUL ROSSLYN STIDOLPH state that:>> 1. I am citizen and permanent resident of Zimbabwe. My Zimbabwe national> registration number is 24- 042486L - 00.>> 2. The facts hereunder are true and correct according to the best my> knowledge and belief.>> 3. I am the registered owner of the certain piece of land called Grand> Parade Estate A, measuring 2270,4507 hectares in the district of Urungwe> (Hurungwe) commonly known as Grand Parade.>> 4. The property in question purports to have been compulsorily acquired by> Government through the expedient of Gazetted notices.>> 5. It becomes necessary to outline recent developments leading to my> unlawful eviction from the property details of which are set out below.> ATTEMPTED SPOLIATION, AND SPOLIATION>> 6. At around 06.30 am on 7 May 2008, against our will, and contrary to the> laws of Zimbabwe, and in contempt of a Karoi magistrate's court order bail> conditions, my wife Sheila and I were forcibly removed from our home at> Grand Parade farm in Karoi North. There were approximately nine armed> soldiers who came to the house to force my wife and I out at the command > of,> or at the instance of, Major Gen. Nick Dube of ZNA Defence Headquarters> Harare, and who ordinarily resides at Glen Lorne district of Harare, and > who> claims to be a beneficiary of the remaining portion of Grand Parade that I> was previously occupying with my wife and two sons. At the time this> incident took place my wife and I were resident in our homestead. Most of> the soldiers were in uniform. I recognized Cpl Shoko and soldiers known to> me as Chimsimbe, Chibatamoto, Jingura and Chewore. Some were armed with AK> rifles, whilst others carried metal pipes, or sticks and one, Sgt Gange, > had> a swagger stick.>> 7. By way of general background:> Soldiers have been resident at Grand Parade since they seized the farm on> behalf of Major Gen N M Dube and his wife Colonel Gertrude Dube, on 25> September 2007. The Major General had been given an offer letter for the> same portion of land already allocated or promised to me by the acquiring> authority consequent to the fact that I was an acknowledged compliance> farmer having given up more than two thirds of the farm and to the fact > that> I had "shared" the farm in harmony with A1 settlers.>> 8. I confirm that I was called to the Karoi magistrates to answer charges > of> allegedly contravening a section of the Gazetted Land (Consequential> Provisions) Act Cap 20:28 in late 2007. Pursuant to my initial appearance > on> remand I had denied the charge of unlawful occupation and indicated that I> wished to contest this issue at my 'trial'.>> 9. The magistrate dealing with my initial appearance stated - as a > condition> of bail - and in writing - that I should remain on the farm pending the> finalization of the alleged criminal matter. I subsequently appeared on> periodic remand and confirm that a provisional date for the commencement > of> my trial was set for the 14 May 2008 at the Karoi Magistrates court.>> 10. In regard to my tenancy, I also had an agreement with the Major > General,> witnessed in chambers by Judge Uchena and Mrs Mwatse of Ministry of Lands> that I and my wife were to remain in our house - pending finalisation of> proceedings and the issue of an eviction order by a competent court - and> that we be allowed to continue with our registered dairy operations.>> 11. I confirm that the commercial farming activities carried out on Grand> Parade constituted the sole source of livelihood. Apart from milk to the> local community, my wife and I supply dairy products - butter and cheese -> to supermarkets in Harare.> My son James was farming wheat, maize and tobacco on Grand Parade - that > is> until he was of a sudden barred from entering the farm by Dube's soldiers > in> September 2007.>> Since that date his tobacco crop and equipment and material have been> summarily commandeered and taken over without recourse to the due process > of> law and payment of compensation. The resultant loss runs to trillions of> Zimbabwe dollars.>> 12. There was a prior attempted eviction that took place on Monday 14 > April> 2008. On this occasion Cpl. Shoko called me to the house gate to the main> homestead. He told me that Tuesday 15 was to be my last day in our house;> that I was to pack my things and summon transport for my furniture, pigs,> dairy cows, and cattle. I refused.> I said I had permission to remain on the farm and that my case was sub> judice because I was awaiting a trial date at court, and that it was part > of> my bail conditions that I remain on the farm. I also informed him that I > had> obtained interim relief from the SADC Tribunal ruling, filed of record in> Namibia under SADCT 04/08.>> I displayed to Cpl Shoko some relevant papers. He said he was not > interested> in such things; he and his men just followed orders. To this end, at an> earlier time, my wife had asked the Major Gen why he was behaving above > the> law - did he not respect the laws of the land. His response was that 'he > was> army,' and it did not apply to him.>> 13. Re SADC, I confirm that I - along with other affected farmers - had> appealed to the SADC Tribunal to obtain relief from the Government of> Zimbabwe who had threatened our eviction; we get no fair justice from> Zimbabwe's Higher Courts.>> We sought to interdict the Government from directly or indirectly > attending> to our eviction from our properties before the merits of the Mike Campbell> case - filed of record under SADCT 2/2007 to which interim relief had also> been obtained - had been completed. In that regard Campbell and the> interveners assert that varying SADC Treaty and Protocol rights have been > or> stand to be infringed.>> 14. Interim relief was granted by the SADC Tribunal. The ruling to my> application was handed down in open court in Windhoek on 28 March 2008 by> H.E. Justice Dr Luis Antonio Mondlane (President).>> 15. I am advised and accept that Government has signed the Treaty and> relevant Protocols. The Treaty was signed by President R G Mugabe in 1992> and the Treaty was ratified by Parliament.>> 16. I am also advised and accept that Government has expressly or by> implication submitted itself to the jurisdiction of the Tribunal. It has> done so by appearing in Windhoek on two occasions and by reason that it > has> filed papers in that court. Additionally, Government's legal > representatives> expressly undertook to abide by and honour the decisions of the Tribunal -> whether of an interim or final nature.>> 17. My forced eviction - promoted or acquiesced in by Government - and the> determination by the State to continue with my criminal prosecution in the> Karoi Magistrate's Court offends the order of the Tribunal and runs > counter> to the undertakings made by Government through its legal representatives.>> 18. Returning to the background details:> An initial attempt to evict my wife and I took place on Wednesday 16 April> 2008. On this occasion I was called to the gate to the main homestead > where> I was residing with my wife by Cpl Shoko and five other soldiers who were> standing there with him. Most of them were in full army uniform and had in> their possession either AK rifles or sticks.> Cpl Shoko told me since I had not heeded his prior instructions that he > was> taking over the house, would throw out my things and that we must 'pack > and> go'.>> I refused. Despite efforts of my wife and I to stop entry, the soldiers> managed to force open the gate.>> My wife Sheila sustained slight bruising to her hands when she was> attempting to prevent access of the soldiers into our home.>> With the soldiers coming behind us we retreated to the house.>> We have four large dogs. The soldiers said they would shoot our dogs.> We managed to get the dogs in a bedroom and locked ourselves inside the> house.>> The soldiers gathered round the back kitchen door and tried to enter.> I went to the radio to call for help and told my son James to call the> police.>> The soldiers brought hosepipes and started putting water under the doors> into the house in order to try to flood us out.>> My wife said we were not moving.>> While I was on the radio she told the soldiers it was best that they shoot> her dead and get the matter over with for only her dead body would be> leaving her home, and in a box. They finally retreated back to the tobacco> barn area.>> 19. The Karoi police, who had promised to come immediately, never came.>> Inspector Chaguta, officer-in-charge of Karoi ZRP had been informed of the> incident at 0730am.>> The whole day his men failed to attend our call for help; even after 24> hours, they still had not come.>> 20. On May 5 Cpl Shoko sent another message to the effect that we had two> days notice to get out of our home.>> I phoned the Commercial Farmers Union.>> They asked me to phone Nelson Samkange, Governor of Mash West Province.>> 21. I phoned the Governor. He asked me if I had a court order. I said yes.> He then said that I should just contact the police and he stated that > 'they> will protect you'.>> I later wrote a formal letter to Inspector Chaguta requesting his> protection.> I sent another letter to Supt. Jiri at ZRP Dispol office Karoi, and yet> another to Assistant Commissioner Chihuri at Propol Police, in Chinhoyi. I> informed all of them of the unlawful threats of the soldiers and requested> their help. I advised that if they did not come to our aid when called > upon,> I would hold the Commissioner responsible for any loss of life, injury or> damage to our property.>> No police ever came to see me, and the letters have not been responded to.>> 22. The next attempt was made by the same group of soldiers, plus three> others, on 7th May 2008. On this occasion nine soldiers invaded the house> with sticks, iron bars, some holding AK rifles.>> At 0700 they refused our workers and housemaids to come to work.> They then patrolled round the house intimidating us.>> We managed to take some photos of them outside of the kitchen.>> 23. My wife Sheila who is aged 65 years was very stressed.> She has cancer and an artificial hip and high blood pressure. I was> concerned for her blood pressure and health.>> Finally the soldiers made entry into our house by forcing the kitchen > door.>> They commenced throwing out our property.>> My wife and I could do nothing to stop them.>> They threw all our belongings out.>> Once they had thrown everything out, they took occupation in the main> lounge.>> They kept only some chairs and our stereo there to play loud music with > our> CDs.>> Some drank beer taken from our pantry.>> 24. We managed to radio for help.>> My second son Alex went to see Inspector Chaguta at ZR police.> He promised to send someone, but of course they never came.> We had to sit outside with our belongings, but it was by then scattered> everywhere and I could not look after it. My wife and I were numb, > exhausted> and quite traumatised by this time. None of our employees were allowed in > to> help us.>> 25. Our family arranged for lorries to come, but they came late because of > a> diesel shortage. The first lorry came at sunset, at about 6pm. The loading> was not completed until around 11pm that night.> We then left the farm in our car. The soldiers had in the interim taken up> occupation inside my residence.>> 26. The next day when we unloaded the trucks that had been hastily loaded,> we found many things missing.>> Stolen was a Nikon camera, DVD, Nokia cell phone, brown safari boots, six> pair shoes, pair of 'Bose' speakers, most of our towels and many of my> wife's personal clothing including imported bras, a breast prosthesis and> underwear. The general self-help and theft is attributable to the army> personnel sent to Grand Parade to evict us.> Additionally, large quantities of property were - through force of> circumstance - left behind. This includes without in any way attempting to> be exhaustive - a 100 KVA Kohler mobile generator on wheels, contents of > our> farm office - filing cabinets, farm computer, printer, company and farm> records etc - contents of Chubb walk-in safe and contents, 10 new bicycles> for staff and numerous stock such as filters, oils, batteries, new tyres,> rope, workshop tools, fertiliser and numerous farm materials the latter of> which in fact are owned by my son James who has been prevented access to> remove the same since September of last year. His property also includes> many tractors and farm equipment and material and much irrigation > equipment> including two Valley centre pivots. The cumulative value of these items > runs> to trillions of Zimbabwe dollars>> 27. I confirm that the following day we were "permitted" to collect > certain> remaining items such as pots and plants and some remaining livestock. Some> pigs remained.> FURTHER BACKGROUND DETAILS:>> 28. On 25 September 2007 Major Gen. N.M. Dube came with his soldiers to> seize our compliance portion of the property.>> 29. In addition he seized all of my sons James and Alex's equipment that> include two centre pivots for irrigation, five tractors, much valuable > farm> equipment and materials, and his soldiers at a boom gate prevented my sons> from entering the farm.>> He also seized James' tobacco crop and his 10 tonne sugar bean crop> harvested by James in July of 2007, a crop that had been kept in his shed > on> behalf of Prime Seeds Company for seed, and to be delivered to Msasa > Harare> by December 2007. Prime Seeds sent a lorry to collect this on 1 October> 2007, but the soldiers refused it and sent him away empty. Other materials> were seized and have subsequently been used and/or stolen, such as farm> chemicals, plus minus 1000 bags fertilizer, two motor-bikes, all James'> workshop equipment and tools, oils, tyres, batteries, filters, his office> computer and printer, James' farm safe, filing cabinet, files, etc.>> 30. This ongoing theft and confiscation has been repeatedly drawn to the > ZRP> police and to Governments attention and protested. Again, without > pretending> to exhaust my efforts and that of my son, I wrote three times to the> Permanent Secretary of Lands, Ms Tsvakwi for her to authorise the> repossession of my son James farm equipment and materials. She has not> responded to the complaints at all.>> We supplied Ms Tsvakwi - the Permanent Secretary for Lands - with proof > that> my sons are still farming. They do so on land in addition to Grand Parade> farm that they lease. The equipment on Grand Parade was and still is > needed> by my sons for their continued farming operations and to earn a > livelihood.> Consequently the equipment so confiscated and currently been used without> the consent of my sons James and Alex is not 'idle equipment'.>> Ms Tsvakwi has not had the courtesy to reply.>> She would seem to us to be complicit with Major Gen Nick Dube in the theft> or unauthorised use of our equipment.> There has been no valid acquisition order, no agreement, no inventory, no> valuation, no handover, no receipt, and no compensation for this property.>> 31. My two sons and I have lost everything - not only our agreed > compliance> portion of farm, but now all of our equipment and materials - the results > of> a life's work, savings and investment.>> 32. My wife and I are in our sixties. We have nowhere to go and have no> savings. Practically everything had been invested in the farm, its> infrastructure and its assets. We built a large 3 km dam for irrigation of> 4000ml capacity with loans from the bank that took us some ten years to > pay> off. We have enjoyed minimal benefit from this investment.>> 33. My son James used to grow 150 ha wheat and was one of the districts'> volume growers. This is no more. Because of human greed (Nick Dube and his> 'agent' Temba Mliswa), our businesses at Grand Parade of tobacco, maize,> wheat, cattle, pigs, dairy, have been needlessly destroyed. Harare city > with> its current chronic food shortages will no longer receive our butter. Some> 150 workers are now unemployed.>> Meantime Gen Dube to date employs only 10 people.>> Since we no longer have a farm, our dairy products are no longer going to> Harare. The dairy cows will be killed for meat. I now have no option but > to> look for some kind of job. I have no house in Harare or elsewhere, and my> local pension is now worthless.>> 34. While we for our part have cooperated, in our opinion the Zimbabwe> Government has been most unfair to us. Senator R. Maramahoko, the Deputy> Minister of Foreign Affairs, Vice President J. Msika and his Director Mr> Madamombe, all know the truth of this unfairness and of our general> circumstances.>> We have given up two farms previously for Land Reform - in 1980 and in > 1984.>> We moved to Grand Parade Farm in Karoi in 1984.> From 2001, when the fast track Land Reform started, we voluntarily > downsized> the farm three times - sharing with A1 settlers as compliance farmers,> ending up with only 30% of the original farm.>> 35. Then in 2004 I was unfairly charged with unlawful occupation of Grand> Parade in breach of the then section 9 of the Land Acquisition Act Cap > 20:10> which was then in place. I denied those charges.> I was summoned to court.>> Evidence on Government policy about compliance farmers was given at court > by> then Perm Sec of Lands, Simon Pazvakavambwa. As a result of his evidence -> concerning Government's compliance policy - I was acquitted by the> magistrate.>> 36. Shortly after this acquittal my two sons and I were left with 650 ha > as> 'compliance farmers and we resumed share-farming in harmony with the> resident A1 settlers.>> 37. In early 2006 Temba Mliswa, nephew of Minister Mutasa, used his> influence with his uncle to get our compliance portion allocated to Major> Gen N.M. Dube.>> The Major General was given an offer letter.>> 38. We protested this fact and continued farming.>> 39 Many local leaders have supported our case.>> 40. In 2007 our name appeared on the list of the 'Cooksey Hall Resolution'> where a list of certain white farmers of Mash West Province was produced > and> who were recommended to stay on their land.>> That document was subsequently endorsed by Vice President J. Msika, Dr N,> Shamuyarira, Secretary for Information of ZANU-PF and the Minister of > Policy> Implementation Webster Shamu. I understand that it was endorsed by the> Politburo and Presidium, but it appears that it was opposed by Minister> Mutasa of Lands.>> 41. Nonetheless, on the strength of this resolution, we remained farming. > We> moved nothing off the farm up to the time of our forced eviction.>> 42. We did not leave the farm of our own free will.>> We have been unlawfully forced off by armed uniformed soldiers of the > ZNA -> who are effectively employees/agents of the Government - albeit used by> Major General Nick Dube for his private purposes.>> 43. Not only ourselves but our approximately 150 workers who are employed > by> my two sons and myself, are nearly all displaced. I am concerned for > their> welfare. They too are SADC citizens and are going to suffer chronic> hardships in the current economic climate.>> 44. I contend that the action conducted against the Stidolph family as> citizens of this country, and citizens of SADC, is contrary to the > domestic> law of this country as well as contrary to international law and > conventions> including the SADC Treaty.>> Dated at Harare this 10 day of May 2008.>> ANDREW PAUL ROSSLYN STIDOLPH>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------> ------------------>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments from everyone on my book Choppertech.
I am interested especially on hearing from former ZANLA and ZIPRA combatants who also have thier story to tell.