About Me

My photo
Nairobi, Kenya
I an ex member of both 7 and 8 Squadron's of the Rhodesian war spending most of my operational time on Seven Squadron as a K Car gunner. I was credited for shooting down a fixed wing aircraft from a K Car on the 9 August 1979. This blog is from articles for research on a book which I HAVE HANDED THIS MANUSCRIPT OVER TO MIMI CAWOOD WHO WILL BE HANDLING THE PUBLICATION OF THE BOOK OF WHICH THERE WILL BE VERY LIMITED COPIES AVAILABLE Contact her on yebomimi@gmail.com The latest news is that the Editing is now done and we can expect to start sales and deliveries by the end of April 2011

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Pages

Followers

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Books relating to Rhodesian Fireforce

Winds of Destruction -I highly recommend this book to those doing research on the Rhodesian Air Force. Boss PB was an excellent Recce pilot and did an excellent job on developing weapons for the Rhodesian Air Force. A must have in your book collection.

Masodja -A lot of research and a good book about the RAR -MANY EXCELLENT Fireforce actions recorded.
A Pride of Eagles -Some good information on Fireforce and general Rhodesian Air Force activities throughout its history but there are many errors with regard to stories relating to fireforce-I have attempted to straighten some of the issues relating to myself in my own book Choppertech.

Britains Rebel Air Force
Stick Leader RLI -Tough and rugged what can I say!!! Written with feeling /Charlie does not hide his feelings and says things how he thinks. Ek se!!!

The War Diaries of Andre Dennison -a glimpse into daily life on Fireforce with the RAR -Andre Dennison was a highly competent but controversial soldier -one of the best -I personally flew many K Car missiond with the Major who took a liking to me and my skills as a gunner.


The Saints -An excellent book about the RLI -And to those who operated on Fireforce many photographs down memory lane.




Rhodesian Air Force Operations -I highly recommend this book for those doing research as Prop Geldenhuys has done an excellent job of recording Air strikes and general matters pertaining to Rh Af operations in the Bush War
Fireforce -An excellent story and a must read straight from a troopies point of view. One of the firsts written about the Chimurenga war

The Bush War in Rhodesia was first published as Only my Friends call me Crouks -A must read, excellent book and gives the story of "The Russian Front"

These books have excellent stories and information for anyone interested in the Chimurenga war in Rhodesia. I have used them in my own research on the Rhodesian war for Choppertech and have quoted from them on occasions. We need to remember those who died and why the west and Britain washed thier hands of us.(their own kith and kin)

I also recommend that you read the following books and publications:-

The Elite -the story of the Rhodesian Special Air Service -Barbara Cole

The Selous Scouts Top Secret War -Ron Reid Daly/ Beryl Salt

Pamwe Chete The Legend of the Selous Scouts -Ron Reid Daly

Under the Skin Death of White Rhodesia -David Caute

Rhodesian Air Force -Winston Brent

The Chopper Boys -Al Venter

Assignment Selous Scouts- Jim Parker

One Commando -Dick Gledhill

A Short Thousand Years -Paul Moorcraft

Chimurenga -Paul Moorcraft

A Lifetime of Struggle -Edgar Tekere
I also highly recommend reading any publications by Professor JRT Wood, his work is exceptional.
I will also be constantly updating this page for any info available on fireforce -if you have any recommendations please advise through the comments on the blog or e mail me at shawzie@hotmail.com
I would also like to let you know that I have attempted to give photo credits to those who I am aware of. If you see any photographs which require credits or have any objection of them being on the blog please advise and I will take the appropriate action. The intention of the blog is to give a true and historical rememberance of those heady days of Helicopter warfare in Rhodesia.





3 comments:

  1. I am sure your book added to these will be a credit to a war fought with courage and pride. We need to remember, we need to be remembered. Let no life be wasted in death as we live on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that through the long years of dehumanizing persecution, many Rhodesian s believe that they are alone; that no one has the inclination to understand, and respect their sacrifice. I am here to tell you that it is not true. There is a younger generation of people out there that was taught nothing about the Rhodesian Bush War. We are learning, and we are with you. I'm sure that you will make this book a great one Mr. Shaw. It will have echo's throughout time that no person could possibly imagine. It will outlive you, and believe it or not, the world is finally ready to understand. The old guard, both righteous, and salacious, is falling away. These memoirs will be our guide. Thank you for doing what you do Mr. Shaw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you anonymous for your very inspirational comment. This is a story that needs to be told for all ages, it will outlive the author. I think the world is at last ready to understand. Human nature requires a lot to admit a mistake has been made in all aspects. Understanding is more than acceptable it is a sign of acknowledgement.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome comments from everyone on my book Choppertech.
I am interested especially on hearing from former ZANLA and ZIPRA combatants who also have thier story to tell.