Yesterday a really good friend of mine was killed by a man who stole a van in the city of Baltimore in the USA and crashed the vehicle into the room in which she was sleeping killing her instantly. (He was being pursued by the Police at the time) Mary was a wonderful person who I knew from my time in Uganda when I was involved in assisting with the restroation of their Bell Helicopter fleet.
Mary ran the Rakai virus project funded by John Hopkins University and did a wonderful job in her endevours to battle the AIDS virus. Her death has left me with a feeling of hoplessness in our fellow man.
I came to ponder about my book and blog and the reason for me doing what I am doing and came to the conclusion that the World does not care, whatever we veterans of conflicts say.
There is no hope for mankind as he watches lamely while Despots like Mugabe murder at will, how can we hope to fight Global Terrorism when Africa is riddled with corruption , murder and rape?
South Africa is steadily becoming another Nigeria, a cesspool of corruption, robbery , murder and a basket case-all hidden under the hope that the Soccer World Cup will cure all -no -it will just increase crime because there will be easy pickings.
My Blog and book have ripped open old wounds and a seething rage against England and the West as I feel that they had the means to bring Rhodesia to a peaceful settlement.
No they had no balls and bowed to the Nationalists, Zimbabwe is suffering like never in its History and the world watches -why-NO OIL and anyway its a basket case?
All those young men black and white whatever side they fought for would turn in thier bloody graves if they could see the results of the CHIMURENGA WAR.
I have had many e mails and messages from University Professors to schoolkids asking questions about the war.
Each day uncovering more incredible and sometimes unpalatable facts.
My answer to you all is that it was bloody and terrifying war at times, my mouth dry with abject fear as we ran into the targets, if I had the chance I would have opted out, only fear kept me going, the fear of failure!!!!
Do not look for bravery here, just nightmares, which this has brought on rather than cure. I will finish this book and hang up the gloves and helmet forever-done in memory of those who fought and died in the struggle.
I see the blogs about Zimbabwe today -a mute testimony to the World marking time Who gives a stuff anyway?
Now to the crossroads -do I continue the blog and keep picking at the scabs?
I DONT KNOW -It started like looking through shattered glass but some of the shards are terrifyingly clear and big.
- Beaver Shaw
- Nairobi, Kenya
- I an ex member of both 7 and 8 Squadron's of the Rhodesian war spending most of my operational time on Seven Squadron as a K Car gunner. I was credited for shooting down a fixed wing aircraft from a K Car on the 9 August 1979. This blog is from articles for research on a book which I HAVE HANDED THIS MANUSCRIPT OVER TO MIMI CAWOOD WHO WILL BE HANDLING THE PUBLICATION OF THE BOOK OF WHICH THERE WILL BE VERY LIMITED COPIES AVAILABLE Contact her on email@example.com The latest news is that the Editing is now done and we can expect to start sales and deliveries by the end of April 2011
- ► 2011 (10)
- ► 2010 (50)
- ► 2009 (146)
08/10 - 08/17
- Rhodesian Insurgency
- FRELIMO PHOTO ESSAY
- MOZAMBIQUE INSURGENCY AGAINST PORTUGAL
- AFRICANS IN PORTUGUESE COLONIAL ARMY
- LOYAL TO THEMSELVES
- MOVIES OF THE 1970's
- ZAMBIAN RAID DIGEST
- CANBERRA IN SOUTHERN AFRICAN SERVICE
- RHODESIAN AIR FORCE THE SANCTIONS BUSTERS
- THE CHOPPER BOYS
- SA RECCES IN THE RUSSIAN FRONT RHODESIA
- VILA SALAZAR
- BISHOP DONAL LAMONT'S LETTER TO THE RHODESIAN GOVE...
- RHODESIA ROLL OF HONOUR
- WAR STORIES
- RED AFRICA (RHODESIA)
- TRYING TO UNDERSTAND MUGABE
- A CASE FOR RHODESIA
- SELOUS SCOUTS RHODESIA
- RECCES IN RHODESIA
- ▼ 08/10 - 08/17 (21)