About Me

My photo
Nairobi, Kenya
I an ex member of both 7 and 8 Squadron's of the Rhodesian war spending most of my operational time on Seven Squadron as a K Car gunner. I was credited for shooting down a fixed wing aircraft from a K Car on the 9 August 1979. This blog is from articles for research on a book which I HAVE HANDED THIS MANUSCRIPT OVER TO MIMI CAWOOD WHO WILL BE HANDLING THE PUBLICATION OF THE BOOK OF WHICH THERE WILL BE VERY LIMITED COPIES AVAILABLE Contact her on yebomimi@gmail.com The latest news is that the Editing is now done and we can expect to start sales and deliveries by the end of April 2011

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Pages

Followers

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

FEEDBACK














Photograph above Ron van Heerden AFZ in DRC -SEE HIS E MAIL BELOW
The feedback and comments sent to the blog and me have been very rewarding -THE BEST IS TO COME -IN CHOPPERTECH- you need to e mil me if you want a signed copy because this book is going to be a Limited Edition - Beaver.
REQUEST
I would still welcome any info and stories of Fireforce from 1976-80 or any photographs from that time-I am trying to paint a picture of what it was like to be a Rhodesian at that time and also to put the Helicopter Gunners perspective through as well as we also fought hard for out country getting little recognition of what we had to do in those turbulent times.

RON VAN HEERDEN
Howzit Beaver You may or may not remember me, we met at an Air Force reunion in Harare some years back ( still got a Bell cap you gave me somewhere), I flew Alo's from 1995-1999 one of a few whites left, my course mate Mike Enslin was 2 Sqn flying Hawks.I came across your site yesterday and have been buried in it ever since.Although 20 years apart seeing images of it all stirred some deep emotions. I flew K-Cars in the DRC so I know a little of what goes on. Even though my techs were African we still shared a bond and some terrifying moments,T-handle broken off the cocking chain, trying to pull pins out of smoke grenade's to fix it ,K -Car commander shouting,guys on the ground shouting and bursts of 12.5 from the ground. I currently fly S76's for CHC in Thailand and live in New Zealand.I look forward to your book with anticipation, I have attached a photo of one of the Alo's, when I get home in a few weeks I will check the number to see if it is one you may have looked after, some of the serials sound very familiar.The sight and sound of an Alo still brings huge emotion for me, if I could get a job flying one now I would be very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments from everyone on my book Choppertech.
I am interested especially on hearing from former ZANLA and ZIPRA combatants who also have thier story to tell.