About Me

My photo
Nairobi, Kenya
I an ex member of both 7 and 8 Squadron's of the Rhodesian war spending most of my operational time on Seven Squadron as a K Car gunner. I was credited for shooting down a fixed wing aircraft from a K Car on the 9 August 1979. This blog is from articles for research on a book which I HAVE HANDED THIS MANUSCRIPT OVER TO MIMI CAWOOD WHO WILL BE HANDLING THE PUBLICATION OF THE BOOK OF WHICH THERE WILL BE VERY LIMITED COPIES AVAILABLE Contact her on yebomimi@gmail.com The latest news is that the Editing is now done and we can expect to start sales and deliveries by the end of April 2011

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Pages

Followers

Friday, July 25, 2008

Rhodesian Panzers HUNTERS


The Rolls Royce Avon 200series Engine powering the Hawker Hunter -I used to be involved in the overhaul of these engines at the Engine Repair Section at New Sarum Airbase in Salisbury under Warrant Officer Taff Dowell -my journeyman was Flight Sergeant Clive Chard and our team consisted of Errol Sheasby, Clive Dutton, Neil Mayo and myself.

Number 1 Squadron Rhodesian Air Force Hawker Hunters were known as Panzers (code name) were based at Thornhill Air Base in Gwelo.
The Hunters gave Fireforce close air support on many operations both internally and on external operations into Zambia and Mocambique. Watching a Hunter strike against a terrorist position would always be an awesome sight, it was the perfect ground attack fighter. Hunters were vunerable to Strela missiles and took an incredible amount of flak on external operations.
























No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments from everyone on my book Choppertech.
I am interested especially on hearing from former ZANLA and ZIPRA combatants who also have thier story to tell.