Beva I will send you some photos of some gook chest webbing you gave me in the late 70's they were a bit gory but the old lady confiscated them when I was at school and much to my disgust at the time gave them a thorough wash, I also have a set of beads black red and white you gave me when you were posted at JOC Ft Vic.
That webbing and the beads came from a contact that Cocky Benecke and I had with a 2 RAR Fireforce near Bondolfi Mission, a Selous Scout OP had observed a group of fifteen ZANLA Terrorists feeding in some cover on the kopje near thier position and called in Fireforce.
Our K Car armed with a 20mm cannon made short work of the entire group killing them all with an incredible 30 rounds of ammunition expended -the kill rate was assisted by the granite base of the Kopje which made the 20mm strikes on the ground really deadly. Graeme Trass from 2 RAR gave me the chest webbing and a lot of other loot from the dead terrs as he was really impressed with K Car's ability that day.
When we returned to JOC Fort Victoria, Murray Hoffmeyer was one of the first out to our K Car to congradulate me for dropping the gooks in quick sucession -I probably saved a few RAR guys lives by doing that!!! Also saved them a lot of bushwacking so they held an impromtu braai with Murray and Andre Dennison clubbing in for beers.
I recall being picked up by some burly RAR troopers and marched around the fire at shoulder level with them singing Cimurenga songs and Sweet Bannana -Awesome stuff and to me PRICELESS MEMORIES!!!!!This incident is not in Choppertech because Cocky must have logged his flying hours into the Squadron records late and I did not manage to log the trip hours into my Flying log book.
To Graeme in NZ I still have the watch you gave me from that scene!!!
- Beaver Shaw
- Nairobi, Kenya
- I an ex member of both 7 and 8 Squadron's of the Rhodesian war spending most of my operational time on Seven Squadron as a K Car gunner. I was credited for shooting down a fixed wing aircraft from a K Car on the 9 August 1979. This blog is from articles for research on a book which I HAVE HANDED THIS MANUSCRIPT OVER TO MIMI CAWOOD WHO WILL BE HANDLING THE PUBLICATION OF THE BOOK OF WHICH THERE WILL BE VERY LIMITED COPIES AVAILABLE Contact her on firstname.lastname@example.org The latest news is that the Editing is now done and we can expect to start sales and deliveries by the end of April 2011
- ► 2011 (10)
- ► 2010 (50)
- ► 2009 (146)
08/03 - 08/10
- RHODESIA POEM
- Rhodesian Armoured Car Regiment National Serviceme...
- GRANT SHAW-My brother in Aussie Feedback
- HAL BOWKER MY FRIEND AND COURSE MATE
- GOING TO BASE AT NIGHT
- Pubs we spent time in during Rand R in Rhodesia
- AIR CRASHES RHODESIAN AIR FORCE FROM 1970
- CHEETAH TAILBOOM OP URIC REMINDER
- THE BSAP
- TERRORIST DRESS
- G CAR MORTAR DRILLS
- RHODESIAN AIR FORCE HELICOPTERS
- ONE MAN GUARD FORCE
- ▼ 08/03 - 08/10 (16)