About Me

My photo
Nairobi, Kenya
I an ex member of both 7 and 8 Squadron's of the Rhodesian war spending most of my operational time on Seven Squadron as a K Car gunner. I was credited for shooting down a fixed wing aircraft from a K Car on the 9 August 1979. This blog is from articles for research on a book which I HAVE HANDED THIS MANUSCRIPT OVER TO MIMI CAWOOD WHO WILL BE HANDLING THE PUBLICATION OF THE BOOK OF WHICH THERE WILL BE VERY LIMITED COPIES AVAILABLE Contact her on yebomimi@gmail.com The latest news is that the Editing is now done and we can expect to start sales and deliveries by the end of April 2011

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Pages

Followers

Friday, August 8, 2008

GRANT SHAW-My brother in Aussie Feedback

Beva I will send you some photos of some gook chest webbing you gave me in the late 70's they were a bit gory but the old lady confiscated them when I was at school and much to my disgust at the time gave them a thorough wash, I also have a set of beads black red and white you gave me when you were posted at JOC Ft Vic.

Grant
That webbing and the beads came from a contact that Cocky Benecke and I had with a 2 RAR Fireforce near Bondolfi Mission, a Selous Scout OP had observed a group of fifteen ZANLA Terrorists feeding in some cover on the kopje near thier position and called in Fireforce.
Our K Car armed with a 20mm cannon made short work of the entire group killing them all with an incredible 30 rounds of ammunition expended -the kill rate was assisted by the granite base of the Kopje which made the 20mm strikes on the ground really deadly. Graeme Trass from 2 RAR gave me the chest webbing and a lot of other loot from the dead terrs as he was really impressed with K Car's ability that day.
When we returned to JOC Fort Victoria, Murray Hoffmeyer was one of the first out to our K Car to congradulate me for dropping the gooks in quick sucession -I probably saved a few RAR guys lives by doing that!!! Also saved them a lot of bushwacking so they held an impromtu braai with Murray and Andre Dennison clubbing in for beers.
I recall being picked up by some burly RAR troopers and marched around the fire at shoulder level with them singing Cimurenga songs and Sweet Bannana -Awesome stuff and to me PRICELESS MEMORIES!!!!!This incident is not in Choppertech because Cocky must have logged his flying hours into the Squadron records late and I did not manage to log the trip hours into my Flying log book.
To Graeme in NZ I still have the watch you gave me from that scene!!!
Guerilla Snuff

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments from everyone on my book Choppertech.
I am interested especially on hearing from former ZANLA and ZIPRA combatants who also have thier story to tell.