This is a link to some excellent photographs of a ZIPRA Camp in Zambia photographed by Peter Marlow who assisted ZIPRA at that time.
The photographs are copyrighted as the descriptions.See below for link to Magnum photos.
There camps were huge and the people heavily politicised, I cant see how one can call them refugee camps?
ZAMBIA. Refugee Camps. 1978.During the War of Independence for Rhodesia, Peter Marlow worked with the ZAPU organisation led by joint leader of 'The Patriotic Front", Joshua NKOMO, who with Robert MUGABE was one of the main forces in the capitualation of Ian SMITH the white prime minister of Rhodesia, and the formation of Zimbabwe. Through military action from the front line states of Zambia and Mozambique, and political action, Zimbabwe was formed. Peter Marlow was the first photographer to be allowed to see the scale of the military build up in Zambia, young recruits from the many refugees coming over the border to escape the war, formed the basis of this army in the making. They had little more than wooden guns carved out of branches of trees, and stuck together with the melted down plastic of aid sacks . Marlow set up a mobile darkroom for ZAPU in Lusaka and trained members of ZAPU in the techniques of printing and photography. This was later destroyed in an attack by Rhodesian special forces on one of their many incursions into Zambia.
- Beaver Shaw
- Nairobi, Kenya
- I an ex member of both 7 and 8 Squadron's of the Rhodesian war spending most of my operational time on Seven Squadron as a K Car gunner. I was credited for shooting down a fixed wing aircraft from a K Car on the 9 August 1979. This blog is from articles for research on a book which I HAVE HANDED THIS MANUSCRIPT OVER TO MIMI CAWOOD WHO WILL BE HANDLING THE PUBLICATION OF THE BOOK OF WHICH THERE WILL BE VERY LIMITED COPIES AVAILABLE Contact her on firstname.lastname@example.org The latest news is that the Editing is now done and we can expect to start sales and deliveries by the end of April 2011
- ► 2011 (10)
- ► 2010 (50)
- ► 2009 (146)
08/31 - 09/07
- WILLEM RATTE IN RHODESIAN SERVICE
- FIREFORCE POINTS TO PONDER
- SUPPORT COMMANDO RLI CIRCA 1979 -SOF EXTRACT
- RHODESIAN INDEPENDENCE COMMEMARATIVE MEDAL
- RHODESIA BECOMES ZIMBABWE
- JOHN VORSTER AN INSIGHT INTO THE MAN AND HIS THINK...
- RHODESIAN ARMOURED CAR REGIMENT
- MASSACRE IN MOZAMBIQUE -ANOTHER INSIGHT
- WIRIYAMU HOUSE OF COMMONS DEBATE
- ADRIAN HASTINGS AND THE WIRIYAMU MASSACRE
- MOZAMBIQUE INSURGENCY AGAINST PORTUGAL
- INSIDE THE ZIPRA CAMPS IN ZAMBIA
- TANGO ROMEO A BOOK ABOUT JACK MALLOCH
- THE BOTSWANA DEFENCE FORCE
- SCALE DRAWING HUNTING P56 PROVOST MK1 RHODESIAN AI...
- AIRCRAFT NOT USED BY ZIMBABWEAN AND RHODESIAN AIR ...
- HUNTING P56 PROVOST MK51 RHODESIAN AIR FORCE
- ONE COMMANDO
- FARM DEFENSE IN RHODESIA
- RHODESIAN COVER SHOOTING
- MACHEL KILLER?
- THE MEN BEHIND THE MOZAMBIQUE INDEPENDENCE MOVEMEN...
- RHODESIAN DOCUMENTS
- IMAGES OF WAR IN RHODESIA
- RHODESIAN AIR FORCE RECRUITING AD
- TA GROUP AD
- ▼ 08/31 - 09/07 (27)