HANSARD 1803–2005 → 1970s → 1973 → July 1973 → 10 July 1973 → Commons Sitting
PORTUGUESE PRIME MINISTER (VISIT)1258§ Mr. Maclennan I beg to ask leave to move the Adjournment of the House, under Standing Order No. 9, for the purpose of discussing a specific and important matter that should have urgent consideration: namely, the reported massacre at the village of Wiriyamu in Mozambique and the intended visit to this country of the Portuguese Prime Minister, Dr. Caetano". 1259 The facts are specific and as reported in The Times today—that on 16th December last at the village of Wiriyamu in West Central Mozambique there was an armed attack by the Portuguese Armed Forces upon the village, following which the troops systematically and with bestial ferocity massacred 86 named Africans—men, women and children—who were alleged sympathisers of the Frelimo fighters.
That the matter is important scarcely requires demonstration. That it is urgent and that the House should debate this question flows from the fact that Her Majesty's Government have issued an invitation to the Portuguese Prime Minister, Dr. Caetano, which is to be taken up next week.
It is, in my submission, suitable for urgent debate in the light of the imminent arrival of the Portuguese Head of Government, and this House should have the opportunity of expressing the utter abhorrence of the British people of the consequences of Portuguese policies in Africa and of making it clear that the alternative for the Portuguese people is to join the civilisation of Europe and abandon these policies forthwith.
I conclude by expressing the view that this is pre-eminently a matter of Government responsibility, as they have issued the invitation, and this House will wish to have the opportunity of expressing the view that it should be withdrawn.
§ Mr. SpeakerThe hon. Member for Caithness and Sutherland (Mr. Maclennan) gave notice of his intention to make this application under Standing Order No. 9.
My decision is simply whether I think this matter should be debated in the House today or tomorrow under Standing Order No. 9. I rule against the hon. Member's application.
§ Mr. Harold Wilson On a point of order, Mr. Speaker. While of course I am not questioning your ruling—and I do not question it—I give notice, following the statement that we have issued this afternoon, that my right hon. Friends and I will table a motion in the House in support of the line taken by my hon. Friend the Member for Caithness and Sutherland (Mr. Maclennan).
HC Deb 10 July 1973 vol 859 cc1258-60
- Beaver Shaw
- Nairobi, Kenya
- I an ex member of both 7 and 8 Squadron's of the Rhodesian war spending most of my operational time on Seven Squadron as a K Car gunner. I was credited for shooting down a fixed wing aircraft from a K Car on the 9 August 1979. This blog is from articles for research on a book which I HAVE HANDED THIS MANUSCRIPT OVER TO MIMI CAWOOD WHO WILL BE HANDLING THE PUBLICATION OF THE BOOK OF WHICH THERE WILL BE VERY LIMITED COPIES AVAILABLE Contact her on firstname.lastname@example.org The latest news is that the Editing is now done and we can expect to start sales and deliveries by the end of April 2011
- ► 2011 (10)
- ► 2010 (50)
- ► 2009 (146)
08/31 - 09/07
- WILLEM RATTE IN RHODESIAN SERVICE
- FIREFORCE POINTS TO PONDER
- SUPPORT COMMANDO RLI CIRCA 1979 -SOF EXTRACT
- RHODESIAN INDEPENDENCE COMMEMARATIVE MEDAL
- RHODESIA BECOMES ZIMBABWE
- JOHN VORSTER AN INSIGHT INTO THE MAN AND HIS THINK...
- RHODESIAN ARMOURED CAR REGIMENT
- MASSACRE IN MOZAMBIQUE -ANOTHER INSIGHT
- WIRIYAMU HOUSE OF COMMONS DEBATE
- ADRIAN HASTINGS AND THE WIRIYAMU MASSACRE
- MOZAMBIQUE INSURGENCY AGAINST PORTUGAL
- INSIDE THE ZIPRA CAMPS IN ZAMBIA
- TANGO ROMEO A BOOK ABOUT JACK MALLOCH
- THE BOTSWANA DEFENCE FORCE
- SCALE DRAWING HUNTING P56 PROVOST MK1 RHODESIAN AI...
- AIRCRAFT NOT USED BY ZIMBABWEAN AND RHODESIAN AIR ...
- HUNTING P56 PROVOST MK51 RHODESIAN AIR FORCE
- ONE COMMANDO
- FARM DEFENSE IN RHODESIA
- RHODESIAN COVER SHOOTING
- MACHEL KILLER?
- THE MEN BEHIND THE MOZAMBIQUE INDEPENDENCE MOVEMEN...
- RHODESIAN DOCUMENTS
- IMAGES OF WAR IN RHODESIA
- RHODESIAN AIR FORCE RECRUITING AD
- TA GROUP AD
- ▼ 08/31 - 09/07 (27)