Extracted from ORAFS Website in the interests of ALL ex-Rhodesians.(Thanks Eddie)
Distributed to ORAFs and Friends at the request of Peter Petter-Bowyer.
Direct all correspondence to Vic Walker on email@example.com
"Arising from a recommendation given by Rev. Terry Mesley-Spong in 2006, Brig. David Heppenstall very recently brought about the establishment of a committee to investigate the desirability and interest for a medal to be known as The Rhodesian Independence Commemorative Medal (RICM).
Clearly the introduction of an RICM is very late in coming but there is a need to accept that ‘late is better than never’.
The purpose of the RICM is to give to those who gave services in support of their cherished country the opportunity to declare and expose their pride in having done so. Such service came not from the military alone, but from every walk of life and from Rhodesians of all colour. Each knows where his or her heart and efforts lay through the troubled years in which Rhodesia ’s affairs were a focal point between antagonists either side of the Iron Curtain.
The RICM is not an official, government-approved and gazetted item. It is one being developed by a Rhodesian joint forces committee in UK with associates in Australia , New Zealand and RSA. Once available, interested individual Rhodesians will be able to order and pay for his/her own medal. The cost of the RICM and postage is not yet established but it is hoped to keep this as low as possible, without producing a cheap and inferior quality medal.
There is no limit to who can own and wear an RICM, providing he/she expended efforts to the benefit of Rhodesia ’s well being. Consider the farmers and their wives facing perils whilst continuing to uphold the agricultural sector upon which we were all dependent. railway operators, firemen, Red Cross and field caterering volunteers, doctors, nurses, hospital workers, civil servants, postmen, electrical maintenance men and water engineers are just a very small cross-section of a society that provided vital inputs to keep our independent country running efficiently for 15 years during which the world at large sought to destroy it.
Whereas our servicemen gained medals in service and proudly wear them on appropriate occasions, there is nothing for other deserving Rhodesians to show on those same occasions. Consider the wife who upheld her serving husband through the troubled times. Was she awarded for her vital but silent service? No! But maybe she would like to stand next to her be-medalled man when next he wears his gongs and proudly display her own.
The Committee will keep the various Rhodesian Associations around the world up to date on progress and hope to be in a position to circulate a drawing of the proposed medal, showing both obverse and reverse in the very near future."
- Beaver Shaw
- Nairobi, Kenya
- I an ex member of both 7 and 8 Squadron's of the Rhodesian war spending most of my operational time on Seven Squadron as a K Car gunner. I was credited for shooting down a fixed wing aircraft from a K Car on the 9 August 1979. This blog is from articles for research on a book which I HAVE HANDED THIS MANUSCRIPT OVER TO MIMI CAWOOD WHO WILL BE HANDLING THE PUBLICATION OF THE BOOK OF WHICH THERE WILL BE VERY LIMITED COPIES AVAILABLE Contact her on firstname.lastname@example.org The latest news is that the Editing is now done and we can expect to start sales and deliveries by the end of April 2011
- ► 2011 (10)
- ► 2010 (50)
- ► 2009 (146)
08/31 - 09/07
- WILLEM RATTE IN RHODESIAN SERVICE
- FIREFORCE POINTS TO PONDER
- SUPPORT COMMANDO RLI CIRCA 1979 -SOF EXTRACT
- RHODESIAN INDEPENDENCE COMMEMARATIVE MEDAL
- RHODESIA BECOMES ZIMBABWE
- JOHN VORSTER AN INSIGHT INTO THE MAN AND HIS THINK...
- RHODESIAN ARMOURED CAR REGIMENT
- MASSACRE IN MOZAMBIQUE -ANOTHER INSIGHT
- WIRIYAMU HOUSE OF COMMONS DEBATE
- ADRIAN HASTINGS AND THE WIRIYAMU MASSACRE
- MOZAMBIQUE INSURGENCY AGAINST PORTUGAL
- INSIDE THE ZIPRA CAMPS IN ZAMBIA
- TANGO ROMEO A BOOK ABOUT JACK MALLOCH
- THE BOTSWANA DEFENCE FORCE
- SCALE DRAWING HUNTING P56 PROVOST MK1 RHODESIAN AI...
- AIRCRAFT NOT USED BY ZIMBABWEAN AND RHODESIAN AIR ...
- HUNTING P56 PROVOST MK51 RHODESIAN AIR FORCE
- ONE COMMANDO
- FARM DEFENSE IN RHODESIA
- RHODESIAN COVER SHOOTING
- MACHEL KILLER?
- THE MEN BEHIND THE MOZAMBIQUE INDEPENDENCE MOVEMEN...
- RHODESIAN DOCUMENTS
- IMAGES OF WAR IN RHODESIA
- RHODESIAN AIR FORCE RECRUITING AD
- TA GROUP AD
- ▼ 08/31 - 09/07 (27)